Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Who knew there were so many opportunities for studying abroad?

The past two days, the University held a Study Abroad Open House event in two separate locations. I stopped by the open house in the Parmer Atrium on Tuesday afternoon, and quickly noticed that there were so many programs I had no idea existed.

There were so many opportunities for programs in Europe (London, Paris, Nantes, Milan, Florence, Salzburg, Ireland, Salamanca). I didn't know that Dominican had a program for two locations in France, or that there were programs for Salzburg, Austria or Ireland. I was also unaware of a program in Buenos Aires.

One of my big regrets about college so far is that I never seriously considered studying abroad for a semester or two in some new and exciting place. My sophomore year, I briefly courted the idea of studying in South Africa at the University of Stellenboch for a semester, but my hopes were quickly dashed upon finding out they had no programs for journalism or sociology majors (I was considering Sociology for a second major at the time). Hopefully since then, the programs have been expanded to provide the same experiences for all majors. I would recommend to those who haven't considered it to do so. You never know where a completely new and foreign experience might take you.

Some more information on study abroad can be found here.

No comments: