Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Polish Proficiency Test?

According to myDU, a Polish proficiency test will be administered Wednesday next week. I know that Dominican offers classes in Italian, German, Spanish and French, but I had no idea there was anything for Polish offered here.

I'm just curious: Why would there be a proficiency test on campus for a language the University doesn't offer? I thought the point of proficiency tests was to test out of having to take a foreign language or prove you could speak it fluently for major requirement purposes? Maybe the University is planning on offering the class in future semesters and they want to gauge the level of interest?

Does anyone else know anything about this?

3 comments:

Diana Kobylarczyk said...

Yeah, I don't think it seems very logical if they are no Polish Studies classes. I think it may be for people who have gone to Polish School (to learn Polish history, geography and the language) for years and want to get out of taking a language in college.

I myself went to Polish School every Saturday until my junior year of high school when I graduated from it. I know DU has
offered the Polish Proficiency Test before, but I never took it because I didn't need to (took Spanish in high school).

But it is a good thing to have because people who have gone to Polish School from grade school to high school and graduated - I'm sure they'd want credit for knowing the language. And if most high schools don't have a Polish class, then it's not surprising that colleges don't have it as well. It's always either Spanish, Italian or German...

Madame Chartreuse said...

I don't know anything about the Polish tests/possible courses specifically, but I "got out" of taking a language by studying abroad in Ghana...although I definitely only remember a few key phrases from their languages. In that sense (seeing as I didn't necessarily learn a language to fulfill that degree requirement), I agree with Diana that a Polish proficiency test for those who went to school for years or speak Polish as their primary language is beneficial.

Cory said...

I believe they were being offered because of the large base of students that are fluent in Polish wishing to exempt themselves of having to take required language classes.