Tuesday, October 21, 2008

College Does Not Have to Equal Boring

I have two classes on Tuesday, both of which today had guest speakers. The first was my seminar class where a professor from the biology department who spoke about Natural Selection. The other class was American Empire where a foreign corespondent came to speak about working in the field. Both classes were interesting and gave a new insight on course that were becoming, well, predictable.

The use of outside speakers and other learning aids are underutilized to say the least. I feel that while, yes, this is college, classes don't have to be boring. Lectures day in and day out get repetitive and less effective as the semester goes on. Courses with engaging professors and varied class time are always the ones I look forward to and always the ones I get the most out of. More professors should look into alternative teaching methods to keep college as educational, and entertaining, as possible.

1 comment:

Diana Kobylarczyk said...

I agree that classes don't have to be boring. Having guest speakers come in definitely helps - especially if it advances the course's objectives and gives you a better understanding of a course topic.

Last year, for my Flash Animation class we had the Lund-Gill Chair (Shakespeare scholar David Bevington) come in to explain the poem that we were going to illustrate using Flash. I thought that was a different way of doing things - combining two different subjects (English and Graphic Design) and making them work together.

I haven't had any guest speakers this year, but in previous years for my media classes (especially Public Relations), the professor had speakers come in and talk. I appreciated the chance to meet with people currently working in my chosen field.

I definitely think this sort of thing should happen with more frequency. If only to change things up a bit.