Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Update on the Scholarship Letter

As those of you who read this post know, I had a little confusion with the Alumni Office about a scholarship letter this past week. I later received another email which explained that I should have received prior emails the office had sent and that my letter was due last Friday.

So I went in to clarify the matter.

Apparently , there was a snafu in their email lists. The office did not have current email addresses for a good majority of the names on their list of individuals who were to submit scholarship thank you letters. I was informed I was one of these people.

It turned out to be a simple mistake after all. 'No matter,' they said, 'Get us a letter whenever you can, preferably by Monday.'

Now although I have prepared my letter, I forgot to submit on Monday. 'No matter,' I said, 'I'll get it in tomorrow.'

Many in my same situation may not have had this luxury, or may not even know about the whole thing. For those people, wait for it, there's more: according to an anonymous source in the office, if students do not turn in their letters by October 6, they apparently lose their scholarship. Fair enough, but how will everyone who didn't receive an email in the first place find out about this deadline? Will they lose their scholarship as a result of the University's error?

No comments: