Monday, September 22, 2008

Scholarship Letter?

Last year, I received a scholarship from a very generous couple to support my education in journalism at Dominican. In return for their kind favor, the university had me prepare a letter thanking them for their donation and I attended a scholarship brunch, during which I met with the couple and had a great time.

This year, I received the same scholarship again. However, instead of contacting me directly to attend a "letter writing session" to prepare a letter to my generous donors, and notifying me that I even had the scholarship in the first place, they notify my parents.

I received a phone call last night from a family member, who informed me the University wants me to attend this letter writing session (which apparently is mandatory) and the brunch in October. This letter writing session takes place this week (tomorrow and Wednesday, to be exact). When were they going to notify ME? I would have had no idea had my parents neglected to mention the letters coming in from the University. On top of all this, I have prior commitments to other organizations and classes during these information sessions. Maybe if I had been notified ahead of time, I would be able to make it to the sessions, let alone be aware I had these obligations.

I'm 21 years old. The least the university could do at this point is trust me to take care of my financial obligations and send me a letter notifying me that I have to be somewhere at a certain time, especially if it's mandatory. I don't have a problem writing a letter to my donors, or going to a scholarship brunch. However, I feel like my independence has been called into question. Or perhaps there was a mix up in the bureaucracy?

This isn't really a huge issue, but I'm a little annoyed.

I'm also curious if this has happened to anyone else?

No comments: